Many past episodes of ‘Real Estate Matters’ have focused on buying or selling real estate. But what if you want to rent a house or apartment instead of buying it? Finding and signing a lease on a rental may not be as complex as buying a property, but there are still things you need to know before starting your search.
On this Property Insider Secrets episode, Toni explains what you need to do to make sure that the property is going to be the right fit for you and how you can become an AAA tenant!
Some Topics Covered
Today’s Landlord/Tenant relationship
- Sometimes the tenant is more wealthy than the landlord
How you can be a good tenant
- Be prepared before going to inspections
- Don’t stretch yourself financially
- Set a budget for yourself and stick with it
- Figure out what your “must haves” are before looking for a place
Toni’s Rental Inspection Checklist:
What you need to know about the rental application process
What property managers and/or owners look for in a tenant
- Excellent rental history
- Enough income to pay rent every month
What happens after you’ve been approved
- Usually have to pay a bond plus first month’s rent
Why you need to think of yourself as a property owner
Negotiating the rental payment date
- Many property management companies will work with you
Why it’s so important to pay rent on time
- Be reasonable
- Don’t expect people to come after business hours unless it’s an emergency
Moving out of a rental
- Leave it clean
- Remember to pay all bills before leaving. It will hurt you later if you don’t
Toni welcomes questions and comments! Feel free to email her at firstname.lastname@example.org!
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below
Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes
Click here to Subscribe via Stitcher (Android users)
If you like the show, please consider leaving the show a review in iTunes or Stitcher. A couple minutes of your time can help the show immensely! Thanks!